The Institute of Mathematics of the University of Seville (IMUS) takes its name from Professor Antonio de Castro Brzezicki, driver of the studies in Mathematics in our University and a prominent figure of Spanish Mathematics.
The IMUS aims are to organize and develop research activities in all fields and aspects of mathematics and its applications, to promote qualitatively and quantitatively this research, to support the research groups in mathematics of the University of Seville and to foster collaboration between them, with other national and international research groups, in particular by promoting the interdisciplinarity, and with scientific, technological, health, and financial sectors, among others, which could ask for help from mathematics.
The aims of IMUS are articulated through the following functions:
- To organize and develop research activities of all kind in mathematics and related fields. Particularly, the IMUS will promote activities in which several research groups collaborate, or in collaboration with other institutions and public and private entities.
- To prepare and develop R&D using mathematics as a fundamental basis.
- To organize and develop PhD programs as well as own teachings and postgraduate in mathematics and their applications to other disciplines, in accordance with the rules of the University of Seville.
- To prepare courses and seminars of specialization and updating.
- To disseminate the research achievements and the activities carried out.
- To promote the transfer of knowledge and application of mathematics in all areas and provide technical and scientific advice on issues related to the application of mathematics to all types of disciplines.
- To promote, speed up and intensify the exchange of research information between researchers in mathematics from the University of Seville and foster scientific relations among them and with researchers from other national and international centres.
- To provide administrative support to the research groups and projects whose keepers are members of IMUS.